Unintentional poisoning is a public health problem that shouldn’t be taken lightly. In 2012 alone, data gathered by the World Health Organization (WHO) states that over 193,460 people have died from poisoning and that 84% of these deaths have occurred in low- to middle-income countries.
With these figures in mind, you may be wondering how poisoning was able to claim so many lives. Many products in your household that seem harmless can be lethal if they are unintentionally consumed or used in the wrong way.
Things such as your cleaners, leftover food, alcoholic drinks, and even your medication are everyday items that can put you at risk of poisoning. Even though the toxicity levels of products differ, any case of poisoning can be dangerous without treatment.
A grave case can result in admission to an intensive care unit. Given that these substances trigger harmful reactions inside your body, chances of death are extremely high, and survival may lead to long-term impairment. Considering these possible consequences, you’ll need to learn about these products on a deeper scale if you want to keep everyone at home safe.
Fortunately, the risks posed by poisoning can be easily kept at bay by knowing how to handle toxic substances. This is especially important if you’re living with children. Knowing how to properly store food, developing the habit of reading the warning labels of products, and keeping poisonous materials away can save you from a stressful trip to the emergency room.
To help you and your loved ones stay safe, we’ve prepared a handy poison prevention guide for you. The infographic below will discuss poisoning in-depth, along with some safety tips to protect your family. In case you suspect poisoning or if you someone you know has been exposed to a toxic substance, proceed to the nearest healthcare center for immediate treatment.